[midgard-dev] developing the new m-p.org?

Henri Bergius henri.bergius at iki.fi
Tue Mar 22 21:04:13 CET 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Alexey Zakhlestin <indeyets at gmail.com> wrote:
> Main page:
> 1. short introduction on main page
> 2. links to github/mailing-lists/irc
> 3. link to "Installation" page

The main problem is that there is no single "Midgard" to have a site
for. We have Midgard the community/project, and then we have multiple
products, like "Midgard2", "MidgardCR", "MidCOM", "Midgard MVC" etc.

I was thinking of going extremely simplistic, a bit like for example
the Vows testing framework does with their site: http://vowsjs.org/

So we would have one website, with:

A front page for the project. Lists the "products" we have and has
some sort of generic project manifesto on what we're really about.
Maybe the products could be listed on the front page placed into
appropriate boxes of the "stack"?
http://bergie.iki.fi/static/1/1e03f6a6cfe27003f6a11e0a60db5207a8570387038_cms-decoupled-approach.png

Then a "big page" for each product. Here we should focus on the new
stuff first, as those are most severely impacted by our crappy web
presence.

A product page should contain:
* Short abstract of the product, what it is for
* Download instructions
* Github link
* Usage examples/documentation

Again, look at http://vowsjs.org/ and
http://jashkenas.github.com/coffee-script/ for inspiration.

On Midgard2 and MidgardCR pages the code examples should be shown with
tabs containing the same example in different supported programming
languages. I was thinking of using GitHub Gists for the code snippets.
See for example http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/embed-github-gist/

The Midgard Create site should provide a "Try it" button that loads
the Create JavaScripts right there on the page, making it editable
(though obviously without server communications). Should be a good
enough example :-)

Oh, and -1 for running this on the current m-p.org server. It seems
horribly overloaded. But maybe we could have another Xen instance
there, where we could have a modern OS and modern Midgard.

> Alexey Zakhlestin, http://twitter.com/jimi_dini

/Henri

--
Henri Bergius